Saturday, December 05, 2009

My Nana

So sorry it has been,,,well awhile since my last post. Most of the time I dont feel like I have anything interesting to say! But for the faithful 5 who read then I will keep on posting...
This Thanksgiving was a special and sad holiday for my family. My grandmother, Nana, passed away the Sunday night of the Thanksgiving week. She was in the hospital for blood clots in her lungs and one ended up taking her life. As unexpected as this was, we had just been down to Memphis a week before for a friends wedding. Nana fixed a Thanksgiving feast since it was technically not our turn to be together for the holiday. She was in her element cooking for all of us. We got some wonderful pictures of her and Charlie, as well as her, Gran, and her other great grandchildren--Sam and Coleson.



What I will miss the most about Nana is when I walk through her door and she gets up and says "I thought you were never gonna get here." Never failed,,she said it every time. Even when I lived in Memphis for dental school and would eat there for dinner every Wednesday before church. When I see a Starbucks I will always think of her. Gran would hardly take her cause he said it was ridiculous to pay that much for coffee when he had some at home, so when I was in town I would take her. I will miss her trying to get us to eat more food than we could possible eat, shopping for the absolute best deals, and showing us off to her friends at church. I will miss how she gets into my moms kitchen and moves things around and my mom rolls her eyes:) I will miss her smell--she always smelled like home to me.

Funny story about Nana. Most of my adult life Nana has pointed out to me that I am big boned like her. (Thank you Nana.) So when I was having a C- section with Charlie the doctor told me my pelvic bone was too small for him to come out naturally anyway. Guess who my first phone call was to? Thats right. Nana. I called to tell her that I had at least one small bone in my body per Dr. Trabue! She just laughed and laughed.

Travis and I were talking the other night about another time when we were younger and staying in Memphis with Nana and Gran for the week. It was after church and she stopped at Wendys to get us some food, but when we got up to order she ended up making Trav and I split a hamburger and fries. We were of the age where we needed more food than half a hamburger I am sure. Maybe this goes back to her thinking I was big boned and she was trying to help...:)


I loved my Nana very much. She was always gracious in opening her home to others to make them feel welcome. And she loved her family very much. Not much she wouldnt do for the grandkids. People tell me how much I look like my mom, who looks and acts like Nana so I take that as a compliment. Her and Gran were married almost 66 years this month and have taught us alot about marriage. I will miss her, especially every time I walk into her house, but I know I will see her again someday!

Here are some pics from the week together in Memphis when we gathered to celebrate Nana's time here with us...




And here is my little 5 month old man...I cant believe it...

7 comments:

Missy said...

Sorry to hear about your Nana, but it sounds like she will always be remembered for being a wonderful woman!

Charlie is so sweet!!

Audrey said...

Thinking about you Mere.

Audrey

The Speck family said...

This is a really great post, Mere. Thanks for sharing your memories of Nana~ she is dearly loved and missed!

Laura said...

So very sorry about your Nana, Meredith!

Sarah said...

So sorry for your loss, Meredith. Charlie sure is a cute little guy.

Kristin said...

So sorry about your Nana, sounds like she was a great one! Charlie is getting so big and such a little cutie! Can we go ahead and set up a pre-marital contract with he and Shelby? 2 months apart-can't get much better than that! :)

KCoffman said...

I know I have already told you but if you ever need anything I'm here for you not only as a coworker but a friends as well .. So sorry to hear about your Nana!! Reading your posting you can really tell that she was a sweet lady !!

And that Charlie is something else .. your picture crazy !!