Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Growing Pains

I feel like I have aged 10 years in the past week.

For the most part, Ash has done most of the house planning stuff. I have picked out faucets with him, and we did doorknobs and deadbolt together for the most part. The big things up to this point Ash has done and I have really cared because I trust him. Well, these past several days I have been working on cabinets. Kitchen and bathroom cabinets. This has ultimately made me want to throw myself in front of a semi-truck.

I dont know anything about measuring, countertops, etc. I just pick out the color, and so far I have gone over budget on everything. (this should not surprise anyone)
Today I met with the cabinet lady at our new house and talked about the kitchen and then she moved to the bookshelves in the great room. I was clearly not prepared to talk about bookshelves in the great room, therefore I began to panic and start crying on the inside. I stink at this house junk!! I have no idea what I am doing!

After work, I met Ash at his office to see some guy about life-insurance and disability. About hhmm, 45 seconds into his presentation, I was thinking about cabinets and about which scrubs I was going to wear tomorrow. All of his mumbo-jumbo, I could not understand what he was talking about. Every once in awhile, he would look at me for approval, to which I would just smile and nod. (I knew there were some hidden M&M's somewhere in the room we were in, and if I could just get to them before he saw me I would be in better shape. )

Lucky for me, Ash is really smart and can handle all this junk. I told the guy that this was all grown-up stuff and I felt to young to do this now. He promptly reminded me of my age, (thank you Mr. Mumbles) and that I did need to be prepared. geez.

so, i feel better after venting my house and insurance problems. Please keep me in mind Friday and I have to make decisions on bathroom vanities(colors), tile, hardwood floor color, fabric, and now bookshelves all before 2:00. If anyone wants to fly to Nashville and do this for me, you have my nod of approval. :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Fly me to Nashville, and I am there! I love all that stuff, minus the insurance stuff. You house is going to be beautiful- I can't wait to see it!

Carolyn said...

Hey Meredith!

That does sound stressful, but also fun. How cool to be building a house! Of course, I guess from your perspective it may be cooler in theory than practically, but still--that's so great that at the end of all of it you will have a great house, containing all of your choices. I'm excited for y'all!

Shanta said...

I'll come! How exciting Mere! I'm glad you at least get to choose all that stuff. Our house was the mad scientist's lab for all things wallpaper. It's been a whip to get it all down. Enjoy all the house decisions- it doesn't matter what you choose, it's just enough that you and Ash have fun in the house together!

Shanta said...

Mere- where are you dear? What's the SCOOP? Post, post,post!