Friday, November 11, 2005

Day One in Washington

MY LEGS ARE DESTROYED!!

I have walked about 10 miles today in Washington and I have no feeling in my lower extremities. Travis had the day off and took Ash and I on a tour of D.C. I had been here for their wedding in 2000 and for my 21st b-day,(for those of you who were there, that was a memorable experience! ) and so I was looking forward to the refresher course given by my elder brother. We started our day at this bagel shop, which from here on out will be called the "Bagel Nazi". I was slow to figure out what i wanted for a snacky and he was screaming "NEXT!!!!" We then went to Starbucks, where you always feel at home no matter where you are visiting. Thus, we had fuel for the journey. Here we go....

before i go on, my brother has a leg span of either a cheetah or gazelle, and so as he is gliding through the city, i am basically sprinting to keep up with him. he took us to the National Museum of Archives (for the unpatriotic--this is the home of the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, Bill of Rights, and where "National Treasure" was filmed) ok, it wasnt filmed here, but now you get a mental picture of where we are located.

From there we went to the White House to see where George lays his head at beddy- bye time and got some great shots. (pictures--that is. by the way, not a good idea to yell "snyper" in front of the White House. Ash yelled it when i tripped on the sidewalk, caught my balance, but looked behind me to see what it was that caused my trip. you all know what i am talking about because you do the same thing. Ash said "Did a snyper get you?" no, dear.



we went to the Washington Monument, (the big pencil), the WWII memorial, Lincoln Memorial, and got a hot dog one of the 24 stands outside the monuments. cool thing though--while we were at the WWII memorial, 3 big helicopters went over us. they are the ones that carry Bush to and from the WHite House. that was neato.


second to the last stop was the Smithsonian museum of American History. this was a great eye-opener to remember the freedom is not free and never has been. When we left there it was almost dark and we were meeting Kelly for dinner at 6:30, but we had one more stop to make our tour complete. we had to go see the Jefferson Memorial. Problem was that is was about a mile from where we were at. i was gung ho--Ash and Trav mumbled under their breath, but we carried on. We made it there and back to meet Kel in about 45 minutes. not bad.

so, after a good meal to reenergize us and 3 desserts (this was my idea!), we walked back to see the White House at night. Maybe they will have another White House Christmas special with Nick and Jessica Simpson. One can only dream.

well, time to lay my weary head down for a few hours before Day 2 comes. Tennessee plays Memphis tomorrow, maybe we will actually win this one. Again, one can only dream.

goodnight--sleeptight.

No comments: