Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Stressful Holidays Ahead

ok, i need some advice from all the "married longer than 3 months folks" out there. the holidays are upon us, and it seems now that since i have gotten married that I can't spend every holiday with the Speck family. I understand comprise, and I am ok with it, but there are 2 brothers and their wives, a new husband and his family, and my new husband's 2 other brothers and their wifes' family.

we always go to Memphis for Christmas, after Santa come to our house. well, this year we will be at home since my brothers and their wives are coming into town, but that leaves out my grandparents and uncle, aunt, and cousins of whom i have always celebrated christmas with! we wont be having the "fluff" this year!!! ( the fluff refers to this cranberry, whip cream, marshmallow side dish that mom always mixes up and it actually gets bigger throughout the day.) anywho, my cousin Courtney and I have never missed a fluff get together. i might have to meet her halfway inbetween Nashvegas and Memphis for some fluff.

why are holidays so stressful i thought this was supposed to be a good thing with both of our parents in town. its the immediate/extended family where things get tricky. i am looking forward to Jan. 1 already!! actually not since it is on a Sunday. no offense, but i would rather christmas and New Years be on any other day than Sunday. PLus the fact i get less time off work when it is on a Sunday. this is all beside the point,,,

i am thankful for family, and that i do have to worry about where to go for the holidays. i love each and every family member i have and will fight to keep the traditions alive!!!! i feel like i am going into battle,,,,

ok. well, if anybody has advice, let me know. its my first time to not be with family for every holiday and I am a little bummed, but overall ok.

thanks to all my peeps.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

One day at a time.....you know we love you and will be thrilled whenever you and Ashley walk through the door. I have no doubt your mom will have some fluff for you, and that alone may be what saves the family traditions!

Shanta said...

Ah, just go on a cruise or something :)

Unknown said...

Meredith! Your blog is super fun to read! I happened to stumble across it-this blogging thing is addicting. I understand about the family situation. Everybody else is so nice, and they say they love spending time with both sides; however, I will be the first to admit that I just flat out prefer my family over my husband's. I love his family, but we see them ALL the time as they live one hour away. Good luck with the holiday dividing. I hate to tell you, but it gets more hectic when you have a baby. By the way, I really liked your post about "Elizabethtown." I HATED that movie, and my good friend Darby liked it. Hope all is going well with you! By the way, you did not look fat in the pictures on Kelly's blog!
Kate (Barclay)

hejlyeah said...

Oddly, the family thing never gets easier. We switch out holidays now, and it works well. All about compromise. Luke's fam lives here, and mine in DFW. We see both sides all of the time, so I don't know how to work out a much longer distance situation. It'll all work out! Have a good holiday!