Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Ode to the Mum

Mum is in reference to two things-
First, my most favorite "mum"--Cilla Jean. We watched my wedding video with everyone this past weekend and the best seen of the whole thing is Cilla shakin what the good Lord gave her and raising the roof to "I Like Big Butts. " This consequently is my theme song, so there is still a swing in the backyard for those who havent seen me in awhile.

My next "mum", is those absolute hysterical things girls mainly in Texas wear every year this time for Homecoming, and then right after have to go the doctor because their backs have thrown out from carrying 25 pounds of bells, ribbons, a huge mum, and whatever else goes on those things. Honestly, how do those work? Is it the bigger the better? The official state motto takes it even to the homecoming flower? I have seen my some of my friends who have saved theirs no less. My homecoming outfit consisted of my DEB gold shorts with suntan panty hose (i was pre-siggie in 8th grade) with a matching vest and white silk shirt underneath. I stood on the picture like a basketball pose, with my hands clasped behind my back. No wonder my mom told me to be more "feminine" in high school. whatever Cilla.

But, i had no mum,but maybe a corsage of some sort which i promptly threw away to try not to remember a night in such a dreadful outfit. I know you other girls have worn stuff from DEB and County Seat. Girl--i had the matching sweaters and socks and Eastland shoes with the curly shoestrings. Good times. Shanta--i know you wore the same, and i think i have evidence from Amie. :))

ok- back to the grind of cleaning teeth. Please everyone, brush and floss. It is not a hard thing to do and it will save your friendly hygienist much agony.

you dont have to floss all your teeth, just the ones you have to keep.

Ash and I have a dental meeting together tonight with a bunch of other people. It is our first husband and wife meeting!!! How fun!!! I asked if he wanted to sit together! (what am i ,,in high school?) He was like --um sure. What a sweet boy.

ok--enough for now, but all you "mum" girls dont get mad at me. It is just one of the many Texas cultures I never understood.

5 comments:

leslie said...

You crack me up. Mums are hilarious. I only went to homecoming and the mum I got sucked. My man did not go all out. Now, though they are huge with like Christmas lights on them and stuff. Pretty dumb.
Panty hose UNDER your shorts?!? Wow. I guess I'll still be your friend.
It was SO good seeing you this weekend! Two times in one month! I'm spoiled!

Unknown said...

I never understood mums either- we did not have them in VA. You were lucky if you had a date to the homecoming dance, much less a mum! Check out my blog for pics of you girly girl......is Ashley enjoying the UGA win?

hejlyeah said...

I had a mum that took up my whole chest once. I was mortified, but what do you do? When a guy spends that much money on a flower, you gotta wear it! Some have like a back strap to hold up the flower, around your waist, etc. Hilarious.

Shanta said...

I remember the first time I saw Brooke Fuston's e-freakin-normous mum from highschool-still proudly hung in her room like it was from last week. This has been such a fun source of questions from me over the years. I don't get it either Mere. But, then again, many don't understand "Nashville hair" which is where the boys brush their hair downward instead of straight back. I can tell where a kid is from just from looking at their hair. And Ohhh girl- I love the DEB reference. I don't think I was cool enough for DEB. I think I shopped at Lane Bryant for fat high schoolers... But I was definitely sporting the curly Eastlands. And tight rolled pants. Stonewashed tight rolled pants. And many vests. I was vest queen. And let's just see what Amie can come up with. I've got an arsenal about her too!

Becky Martin said...

Too funny! My sister just went to her high school freshman homecoming this weekend and I got to do the whole big sis picture thing as we sent all the couples off. She looked so classy...so much more put together than I ever was, especially in high school, for dances and events. No mum (though it might have helped to sheild her from the chilly Denver weather...strappy dresses in the pre-snow weather front!).